
I love Pioneer Day. Mostly because it is a day off work and a reason to party:) I got an early jump on the holiday and decided to celebrate Pioneer Day Eve. We started the 'eve' out with going to a Bee's game. Just Amelia and I went and I think we did more talking than game watching but we had tons of fun.

After the game we headed down to the parade route in Salt Lake. We met up with some of my cousins and some of Amelia's cousins who were sleeping out for the big event. This is my cousin Stef and her little boy Bret.

Stef's family had gone down way early and set up camp to save their spots for the parade. While we were visiting them, a homeless man came and set up his camp right next to us. At first he started out with just a blanket and eventually his collection grew into this. There was a dumpster nearby and he found all these treasures in it. He gave a whole new meaning to the saying "one man's junk is another man's treasure." After getting his 'room' all set up, he took off. Seeing this made me so much more grateful for all the things I have.

On the 24th, the family came over for our annual BBQ and fireworks. I made the homemade ice cream this year for the first time and I'm pretty sure it'll be the last time. It just wasn't the same as when mom makes it.

All the Linnell sisters and Carter relaxing before our big firework show.

The best part of the 24th..... lighting the fireworks. Matt put on a fantastic show for all of us. This picture was taken before the madness broke loose. I'm trying to figure out the logic behind sparklers.... let's give a bunch of little kids a metal stick and light it on fire and let them run around waving it all over the place. If they luck out and don't get burned while the stick is on fire, they will inevitably grab the stick when the fire dies and get burned by the metal that has just been on fire. Sounds like a great activity for the little ones:)
3 comments:
Look's like it wasa good holiday! The guy...(bum) that's classic!
sooo funny bout the sparklers and soo true! boy do we miss the excuse for a day off! Looks like ya'll had fun!
Being a member 10 years I have only been to one Pioneer celebration and that was my first year as a member and we had a ward picnic. Oh, and last year we had a celebration with Benjy's family. I love your hair in the ice cream picture. Looks like a great time. I agree about the sparklers...they make my cringe!
Post a Comment